Monday, December 3, 2012

Reading is fun.. So as its marketing!!


(Confession 1- Before I start writing this blog, I just want to confess that reading is not my passion, but I like to read books/novels, if anyone recommends it…)

28th November, Evening, we all were just about to wrap up the things in office as it was 6.15 on the clock, we all left in bansal’s car heading towards our homes and I asked, “Can anyone suggest me a good novel, as I am thinking to start reading.” Suggestions came from everybody and I selected 2-3 options.
Suddenly, Bansal asked us, “ Have you ever bought reference books for any of the subjects during your school or college??” (I was wondering where did this reference books topic came in when I asked was suggestions of novels??) Everyone replied, “Yes! Of course! Many times!” And then again he asked, “ Have you guys ever thought about the marketing of books?” (Okay! Now who have thought about that- Not me atleast …)

With a vague smile and a question mark on our faces, we said, “No!” as each one of us couldn’t relate any of the instance of marketing with those of the publishers. But I was very curious to know the logic behind this question and before I could counter back Bansal, he asked another question, “What is your buying procedure for such books specially when you want them for yourself?” (I wonder how such intellectual questions can come everytime in his mind?? J )

(Confession 2- I was feeling as if I am playing some quiz contest… Itne Saare questions, Pheww!)

I said, “ I just go to the bookshop, ask the shopkeeper to show me the books related to my subject and at max, I ask which one he refers for the same”. And now we all were waiting for Bansal’s call on that! He Replied, “90% of the people buying reference books read the preface only at the time of purchasing the book. They look out if any of the known person from the field of that very book has reviewed that book… And based on those reviews, your purchase decision is made!!” (Everyone with a “jaw-dropping” expression on their facesà were really impressed with his facts and observations. )
No doubt about it that these reasons are actually right and most of us simply read the preface & then decide upon the book…

“Books are never really advertised. The consumer of the books belongs to an intellectual class, so a proof has to be kept in the product which matches the intellectual sight of the buyer or the reviews by some known person in the book serves the buyer’s need to make his purchase decision” (Courtesy- Last minute Editing by Bansal J)

Actually, any product should have that one feature or benefit that should satisfy the need of the buyer for which he is purchasing that product. And we at Blue Pigeon design the campaigns to highlight that very particular benefit of the brand that builds up the Brand Recognisition and enhances Brand Recall.

Team Blue Pigeon

www.blue-pigeon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment